Looking for a way to de-stress and get a quick, full-body workout in just 30 minutes? Fitness kickboxing will help you achieve that. If you are interested in trying out a class, here are a few things that you will need to know!
5 Tips For Your First Class
1. Prepare yourself to sweat. I don’t mean just a few drops…I’m talking every square inch of your body will be covered in sweat. Core exercises are thrown in between the punching and kicking combinations on the bag and through pad work with the trainer, so your heart rate will go up really fast!
2. A key thing you must do to prepare yourself to sweat is to HYDRATE. The Institute of Medicine recommends that men drink 13 cups and that women drink 9 cups of water a day. Make sure to drink plenty of water before, during, and after exercise. Dehydration will not be a problem!
3. Wear comfortable clothing, and no shoes are required for class. Most women will wear capris or shorts and a loose or fitted tank. These will allow you to kick and punch freely without any restriction. Most men wear shorts and a t-shirt.
4. Arrive to class 10 minutes early to wrap your hands with boxing hand wraps, before putting the gloves on. This is an important step to protect the bones and muscles of the hands and to stabilize the wrists to prevent injury. Remember … safety first!
5. Traditionally, kickboxing uses the 4-point striking system, in which both hands and feet are used. Being at a Muay Thai gym, you will use the 8-point striking system, where both hands, feet, elbows, and knees are used to fight. Muay Thai is an advanced sport and requires you to be quick in motion and in thinking, because you will not know your opponent’s next punch-kick combo. Once you get the mechanics of kickboxing down, you can give it a try!
Fitness kickboxing allows you to learn a method of self-defense, while gaining confidence, strength, and balance. Two to three visits are recommended each week to deliver the best results. The first class is free, so there is nothing to lose … but a lot of toxins in your sweat!
Act fast! Time’s a-ticking! Sign up for 3 Classes and a FREE pair of Gloves